February 1, 1967 was a long time ago. Even longer when you consider it is a celebration for an independent restaurant located in the central valley. Of course, this restaurant has a lot of history behind it.
In the late 1800’s to 1929, Miller and Lux owned and operated Canal Farm as a ranch and headquarters for their canal operations. This main building was used as lodging to board Miller’s superintendents. These men ran Henry Miller’s vast farmlands, canal districts, ranches and grazing pastures. The Miller and Lux Corporation sold this property to Joe and Martha Goni in 1929. Martha added “Inn” to the name and operated Canal Farm Inn as a boarding house, later adding a restaurant and nightly rentals. In 1946, Robert and Mary Puccinelli purchased the Inn and continued to expand the restaurant, bar and motel. On February 1, 1967, John and Esther Amabile purchased Canal Farm Inn a California Historical Landmark from the Puccinellis, John’s aunt and uncle.
For complete article please purchase a copy of The Paper.